It didn’t take more than two months to say goodbye to 2 well-known singers; Chris Cornell the pop icon and Linkin Park’s (rock band) main vocalist Chester Bennington.
Suicide is a serious matter, most of us would think that these celebrities are living the good life, why wouldn’t they? Their bank accounts are loaded, they could fulfill every desire, and women (or men) are surrounding them, so what’s wrong?
First things first, let’s check out some facts from the American Foundation For Suicide Prevention (AFSP) -all the facts below are in the US alone-:
- Annually, almost 44,193 individuals commit suicide, that converts to almost 121 per day.
- 13.26 individuals out of every 100,000 commit suicide.
- Men commit suicide 3.5 times more than women.
- Suicide is the 10th leading cause of death.
- For every 1 suicide, there are 25 attempts.
- Suicide costs the US government about $51 B annually.
- White males accounted for 7 of 10 suicides in 2015 (check the graph below for more details)
- People aged between 20-85+ suicide’s rate is alarming (see the below graph for more details)
So, what are the causes? As per some recent studies:
Mental Health Conditions:
- Severe depression.
- Bipolar disorder.
- Borderline personality disorder.
- Anorexia nervosa.
- being gay, lesbian or transgender, arising from the prejudice these groups often face.
- being in debt.
- being homeless.
- being a war veteran.
- being in prison or recently released from prison.
- working in an occupation that provides access to potential ways of dying by suicide, such as working as a doctor, nurse, pharmacist, farmer or as a member of the armed forces.
- exposure to other people with suicidal behavior, especially close friends or family members.
As we can see from the above, mental and psychological factors are playing a main role in this sorrow, sadly, they are often neglected and nobody notices that until it’s too late.
Please note that these alarming statistics are from the US alone, thus, imagine the numbers when put on a bigger scale. Be a part of fighting this scourge, when you see the possible symptoms, please take their hand and walk them through this or contact the specialized authorities. When they’re gone, they’re gone, but they leave their families and their beloved heartbroken and this could also lead to more tragedies…